In honor of the return of The Big E on September 15, the Connecticut Department of Agriculture (CT Grown) is announcing a special prize giveaway running throughout the duration of New England’s favorite fair.
CT Grown’s Big E Giveaway features prizes totaling $500 in value — all featuring CT Grown products from farms throughout Connecticut. Prizes include:
- $250 Gift Card for Woodland Gardens in Manchester
- Maple Cutting Board (estimated value: $100) from Dovehill Farm in Moosup
- Cheese Basket (estimated value: $50) from Arethusa Farm in Litchfield
- 24-piece Chocolate Gift Box (estimated value: $50) from Thorncrest Farm & Milk House Chocolates in Goshen
- CT Grown Breakfast Gift Basket (estimated value: $50) with maple syrup from Maplewood Farm (Harwinton), honey from Union Bee Co. (Union), and jams/jellies from Killam & Bassette Farmstead (South Glastonbury)
To become eligible for the prize drawing, all you have to do is sign up to receive the CT Grown monthly newsletter between September 15 and October 1, 2023.
The CT Grown newsletter is a free publication sent to your inbox every month and is a great resource to learn more about what’s fresh from Connecticut’s amazing agriculture and aquaculture producers. Every month, we feature compelling stories, important updates, and family fun events around the state.
Featured CT Grown exhibitors
Fairgoers can see more than 15 CT Grown farm businesses at this year’s Big E. Scheduled exhibitors include:
- Union Bee Companyy (Sept. 15-16): honey and beehives
- Twin Pines Farm (Sept. 15-17): jams, relishes, pickles, honey
- Hilltop Apiaries (Sept. 17-18): honey
- Wholly Goat Farm (Sep. 18-19): goat milk soap
- Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station (Sep. 19): honeybee hive display
- Connecticut Department of Agriculture (Sept. 20 – Connecticut Day): CT Grown apples, Arethusa Farm cheese, and giveaways
- CT Dairy (Sept. 20): Cabot cheese samples and giveaways
- Guardians Farm (Sep. 21-22): goat milk soap, beeswax products
- Maplewood Farm (Sept. 21-22): maple syrup
- Killam & Bassete Farmstead (Sep. 23-25): jams, jellies, relishes, sauces
- Hyde’s Dairy (Sept. 23-24): milk
- Double Trouble Acres (Sept. 26 -27): goat milk soap
- R Farm (Sept. 26-27): honey
- Blue Hill Too (Sept. 28-29): goat milk soap
- Newgate Farms (Sept. 28 to Oct. 1): tomato soup, tomato sauce, salsa, etc.
- Amazing Love Farms (Sept. 30 to Oct. 1): certified organic fruits and veggies, vegan farm snacks, garlic
Thirteen farm wineries from Connecticut Wine Country will also be at the fair offering samples of reds, whites, roses, and “frose” – frozen wine slushies.
About the Big E
The Big E is an annual fair held at the Eastern States Exhibition in West Springfield, Massachusetts, and celebrates New England’s rich agricultural heritage — showcasing a blend of entertainment, culture, and the agricultural elements that have defined the region for generations.
At the center of The Big E is a deep-rooted commitment to agriculture, reflecting the importance of farming in the history and economy of the New England states. The event serves as a spectacular showcase of the region’s finest agricultural products, livestock, and agricultural practices — allowing visitors to learn, engage, and immerse themselves in the world of farming.
One of the most anticipated aspects of The Big E is the signature Avenue of States, where each of the six New England states has its own state house that embodies its distinct culture, history, and agricultural heritage. These state houses are more than just buildings; they are a window into the spirit of each state. Inside the state houses, visitors are treated to a sensory journey. From traditional crafts and iconic food offerings to historical exhibits and live performances, each state’s unique character comes alive.
CT Grown invites all Big E attendees to stop into the Connecticut building to sample the prizes being offered in the Big E Giveaway along with many other CT Grown farm products and items from Connecticut’s agriculture and aquaculture producers.